Monday, March 13, 2017

Batangas - Bacolod RORO Adventure



The Solo Travel (Homeward bound)


Date: Dec 21, 2015
Port of origin: Batangas City
Port/s of destination: 
      > Calapan, Mindoro
      > Roxas, Mindoro 
      > Caticlan, Aklan
      > Dumangas, Iloilo
      > Bacolod City, Negros Occidental (final)

Date: Jan 10, 2016
Port of origin: Bacolod City
Port/s of destination:
     > Dumangas, Iloilo
     > Caticlan, Aklan,
     > Roxas, Mindoro
     > Calapan, Mindoro
     > Batangas (final)


         So okay here we go…......     After a short hiatus to short travels, my feet are aching for some 
REAL adventure. Yes, I mean REAL! And what better way to go than a drive using RORO(Roll On 
Roll Off) back to my hometown SOLO. You read it right SOLO. :) So it's a double adventure so to 
speak  ---- a first on a drive using RORO and a first on SOLO travel. Way to end 2015!!


So off I go early morning (4am) on a Sunday Dec 20 heading to Batangas port.  Leaving Kapitolyo 
spanning C5 and onto SLEX and Star Tollway, I reached Batangas Port at around 6am. I was a bit 
scared, more of like a first timer jitter. I lined up outside the port together with the other cars and 
trucks. I am not sure if I'm filling in on the right line. I managed to ask a truck driver and confirmed
I was in for the right line (the line for trucks & private vehicles were in two separate lines).
Whew, sigh of relief….. Finally I am soooo into this.


     After seems like eternity, I was
finally allowed to enter the port at past 
10 & was onboard Montenegro lines 
at 11am. The sea was relatively calmer, 
inviting for a quiet retreat away from 
the lights and buzz of the city. Passing 
across lots of big and small islands, we 
arrived at Calapan Port after 3 hours 
roughly around 2 in the afternoon. 
Beating the afternoon heat, I started 
the first leg of my land trip of Oriental 
Mindoro and drove towards Roxas port. 
After more than 120 km on a long, 
paved and winding road, I arrived in 
Roxas port at almost dusk.  While processing for the ticket purchase, I have to wait until 8 for 
the confirmation. The process (or the lack of it) seems to be a clear problem, not to mention 
the monopoly of one shipping company that operates in the Roxas port. There is not much 
decent place for waiting passengers and drivers, except for a few eateries outside the port gate. 
After submitting requirements (ORCR, payments, etc), I got onboard Montenegro lines and 
left Roxas port for Caticlan at around midnight.


Mirroring the poor condition at the port area, the
situation on board is far worst... 😩  Packed with 
passengers, there are almost no seats left for others 
and many have to contend standing and/or sleeping 
on the floors. I roamed around the ship and every 
nook seems to be filled up. I saw people sleeping on 
any space that they could find. I was looking for my 
own "decent" place to sleep. I can't find one so I have 
to contend to sitting while sleeping. It was tough, 
given that it is so crowded, but  the breeze kind of 
calmed me a bit. I managed to get an hour of sleep, 
which is certainly not enough if you are driving 
afterwards. 

We finally arrived at Caticlan around 4:00 AM and 
with hardly enough decent sleep,  I summoned all 
the strength I have and drove past the busy port. It was dark and creepy but I managed to be alert, 
holding on to the remaining mental strength I have.  

After an hour drive, the lack of sleep slowly trickled on me. Instinct dictates one thing --- REST!!! 
So as soon as I reach Kalibo, I drove to a nearby convenience store to get a dose of a much needed 
caffeine and quick power nap. After the needed rest, I headed to Dumangas  which is  a 4-5 hour 
drive from Kalibo. Roughly half past 10 in the morning, I reached Dumangas port and secured port 
and cargo ticket which was at that time boarding vehicles to Bacolod. Montenegro lines left Iloilo 
at exactly 12 noon. I reached Bacolod at around 2 pm. 





















At last, Home Sweet Home!!!!


Route
Fees
Remarks
Batangas City - Calapan City
   129 (Port)
1,536 (Cargo)

Roxas City - Caticlan
3, 072 (Cargo)
       50 (Toll)

Dumangas - Bacolod City
1, 029 (Cargo)
     129 (Port)
       12 (Vehicle Pass)

                                  Total
5, 967


Route
Fees
Remarks
Bacolod City - Dumangas
     800  (Cargo)
     375.50 (Terminal)

Caticlan - Roxas City
3, 840 (Cargo) 
     129 (Port)
       50 (Toll)


Calapan City - Batangas City
1, 536 (Cargo)
    129 (Port)


                                  Total
6, 859.50

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for a very helpful and informative blog!