Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mt. Apo Expedition (Tamayong-Kidapawan trail) Part I


Arrival Day - Friday (March 14, 2008) - Unfazed By Sheer Discouragement

I decided to take a half day leave in preparation for our 7pm CBU Pacific flight to Davao. I wrapped up the remaining task, left the office at past 2 and made a quick deposit at the bank. Turned out it was not quick. The bank teller was so slow I wanted to replace her (of course I can't, :)) Rushing to Glorietta to buy the remaining stuffs, I was like a flashing yoyo moving from one place to another. We were supposed to be at the airport at 5pm and I looked at my watch ---- it was 4pm. I should be leaving the house, but I haven't even reached it yet. It was around 5pm when I reached Kapitolyo and hurriedly pack the remaining stuffs I bought. In less than 15 minutes, I was out of the house waiting for a cab. I guess time's playing with me --- I could not find a single one. It took me a painstaking 30 minutes before finding one. Ronnie was then calling me and I could hear the big, "Ano? Nasa Pasig ka pa lang?" I was in panic and I know I have to reach the airport by 6pm. As soon as I got in the cab, all I could mutter was, "Kuya, Domestic po tayo. Dagdagan ko na lang po. Nagmamadali po ako. Alas 7 po yung flight ko." And my driver understood what I meant. Taking the C5, he drove fast and good thing traffic was manageable. As I looked at the watch, it was 6:05pm. Ronnie called again and ask for my location. Ronnie's voice was like a gavel pounded in front of me, "Tins, ikaw na lang ang kulang. Andito na sila Ricky at Erwin. Kelangan andito ka na ng 6:25 kase magcoclose na ang check in counter." All I could say was "Ha ako na lang ang kulang? Oh my....Cge andyan na ako in 15 minutes." There was no need to tell the driver to hurry as he heard me loud and clear. He reassured me that we can reach the airport at the exact time. I then called Ronnie and reassured him I will be there in 5 minutes. When I was on queue, I felt relieved to see many people still lining up before me. The whole gang waited for me near the boarding check in counter. At least we made it . After an hour & a half, we reached Davao City where we met out guide Bong and another groupmate Glen who had an earlier flight. We dropped our backpacks at the house of one of LUMAD (haven't seen her so close as we waited outside). After finding a P99 buffet dinner (which was by the way refilling food every 10 minutes as we were like hungry monsters), we decided to look for a cheap inn to stay for the night as we all knew we would not fit in the house. As we were fixing our things in the inn, there was a woman who suddenly opened our room and spraying us with questions that rendered us all shocked (Ces, Dan, Erwin, Arnold). "Hindi ba kayo komportable sa bahay ko?" I was a meter away from her as I was the one near the door. I suddenly felt scared as I smelled alcohol & thought of her as a mad woman. When she continued, we then understood she was the owner of the house where our backpacks were initially placed. "Sabi kase ni Bong ayaw nyo daw sa bahay ko. Kasya naman kayo dun ah. Yung mga babae kase puede sa kuwarto, tapos ang lalaki magtetent na lang sa labas." Then her succeeding statements were even more shocking, shifting from feigned concern to obvious disgust, doubt and discouragement. "Actually di ko nga alam nung una yung tungkol dito. Kase pag meron umaakyat na Tamayong yung trail, ako talaga ang kinocontact. Kaya nagulat ako nung una na nalaman kong si Bong ang guide nyo. Sigurado ba kayo na kaya nyo ang Tamayong trail? Kase yung mga ginuguide kong taga Luzon umiiyak eh. Kung gusto nyo Kapatagan trail na lang kayo. Ako na lang mag guide sa inyo. Dun marami talagang views. Sa Tamayong, falls lang marami. Unang araw pa lang iiyak na kayo. Sigurado ba kayo na kaya nyo ang Tamayong? Bakit nakakailang kilometro kayo pagtakbo? Ha?" I turned to Erwin and asked him, "Nakakailang kilometro ba tayo kuya? No answer from Kuya. I knew he was pissed off. "Kaya naman po namin ang Tamayong, Nakakailang major naman po kami at nagtraining naman kami." She seemed unconvinced. "Siguraduhin nyo lang na kaya nyo. Kase kahit yung boyfriend ko taga Luzon yun, at kahit tanungin nyo pa sya kung gaano kahirap ang Tamayong." She quipped. I retorted "Kakayanin po namin." Sensing that we were unfazed by her obvious discouragement, she ended with "Ok bahala kayo. Sila James at yung 2 pa doon sa bahay matutulog." Then she left. Just like that. We then heaved a long and heavy sigh. It was time for real rest which we badly needed after a long travel. 

Preparation Day - Saturday (March 15, 2008) - Getting Ready for the Big Days 
After the buzz about last night's events, we had a breakfast on a nearby eatery then proceeded to SM Davao. After buying our foods for the climb, meeting the Habagat people, playing and taking pictures with the mascots, we left the inn and proceeded to Sir Ricky's aunt. It was there where we had our good day's rest and prepared our packed lunch for our Day 1 on Mt. Apo expedition. 


Day 1 - Sunday (March 16, 2008) - the Unforgiving Trail 
We left the house at roughly 4:00 am and headed to Barangay Calinan, the jumpoff for the Tamayong trail. We first went to the porter's house which was at first confusing because the lead group was nowhere in sight, no trail sign and even the 3 local mountaineers who were with us were not familiar with the trail. Frustrated as early as that, we diverted out attention to the eye-catching Mt. Talomo towering over the vast banana plantation. At around 7:30 am, we finally reached the porter's house. After rearranging our backpacks, we continued trekking. The initial trail was typical of the other mountains ---- open and passing through cogonal grasses. We passed through bracing miniforest and muddy trails. There were also confusing ones and trail signs were not obvious which put precious time to waste. We backtracked a couple of times and I can't hide my dismay. We were then led to a muddy but shorter and shady trails which was a breather after being exposed to the scorching sun for more than 3 hours. At that time, we were divided into 2 groups with the lead group taking the longer trail. At around 11:30 am, we we're welcomed by an exciting river trekking. Though the current was manageable and calmer, we still held hands as the water can even reached past our hips. I was so reminded of that "super-long" Mt Pinatubo river trek. At least this time, there was no gigantic rocks and the current was quite calmer. We were then enjoying the trail --- No one has the slightest idea what we will be facing in the next hour of the trek. After almost an hour of river trekking, we were told there is one assault before the Sicao falls, where we will be taking our lunch. It was past 12 noon so we were all hungry. I was following Sir Ricky and Mam Nehra and I was determined to double my pacing as I too felt and heard the growling of my stomach. After the slight assault, I had to calm myself as I saw the seemingly "easy" trail except that there was nothing to hold on. And this was something I dread about. We had to carefully manage our way to an unstable & soft foot trail with steep ravines on the left side leading to huge rocks and raging waters coming from Sicao falls and NOTHING -- (yes nothing strong or stable) to hold on to on the right side. I had to crawl and literally hug the soil so as not to lean on the left side. After the initial ravine ordeal, we were not "emotionally prepared" for the succeeding trailpaths. It was unbelievably dangerous and risky. It was the same trail ---- NOTHING to hold on to the right & ravine on the left side. The soil we are stepping in was close to a quick sand which sends chill to all of us. Different maneuvered positions and careful strategies have to be taken. If Mt. Guiting Guiting had a "Kiss-The-Wall" version, this one had a "Kiss-The-Soil" version. After "surviving" one ravine ordeal after another, I had to stop and compose myself as I was shaking in fear. "Dear Lord, please help us on this ordeal" was my silent prayer. I felt my fear increasing as the same dreaded trail went on like forever. I was battling from my own dampen spirit when I heard a loud shout and saw someone falling from behind me. As I looked back, I saw one body being pulled out from a thin shrub. Adz managed to pull Ronnie out. Oh my goodness!!!!!! (Buti na lang... ) We were all shocked and terrified. I wanted to quit at that moment. But then I had to convince myself to continue. After more than 30 minutes of somewhat like an endless ordeal, I heard the sounds of the rest of our groupmates (the lead group) and my dampening spirit somehow light up. I then saw the huge boulders and finally had the glimpse of the others. Mang Pao came towards us and it was the first time in an hour-long frightening ravine ordeal that I felt trully relieved. I handed him my backpack before crossing the last ravine crossover and I felt weak walking past the huge boulders and the moment my butt felt the warmth of the rocks, I had the biggest SIGH of my life. It was at that moment that I thought of having Mt Apo as my last major expedition climb. The ordeal we've faced earlier was no joke --- it was a life-and-death travail. After taking our lunch, we continued to trek. The succeeding trail was sort of "pampalubag-loob" --- mossy and gradual. We were then led to various fallen trees (we called these "jeng-jeng obstacle) where our balancing skills were highly required. From various positions like walking on top of two 3-meter logs, sitting on top of those trees and carefully maneuvering the crossover, the trails were more exciting and kind of lifted our spirits. I must say though that despite of these exciting trails, the palpitations due to the earlier fear did not leave my system yet. I had to request a couple of take 5s to regain composure. It was traumatic for me. After more than 2 hours of semi-gradual trails, we reached Camp Kablawan at around 4:30pm.

4 comments:

Galang Lente said...

your post could be more exciting to read if you included images..thanks for this post...nice...

Tina Galido said...

Hi Sir,

As requested, I put some pics on my blog now. Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it. :)

Anonymous said...

hello tina,
great adventure there! pls let me have information about how to get on this trail. would you mind emailing me details as to how and where to get permits/registrations, where to arrange or contact willing guides, how much for their service fees, other concerns? a topography map if you can share would be highly appreciated. salamat. hope you read this on time. this trail interest me most. i'll be climbing oct. -gary kikoman35@yahoo.com/09183817546

Tina Galido said...

Hi Gary, sent you details on your email. Goodluck in your climb.