Thursday, February 05, 2009

The AXN Big Challenge selection


Date: February 5, 2009
By: Cristina Galido


Two more days to go and it's the Big Day we have been waiting for --- the AXN Big Challenge. It all started when I learned that AXN was coming up with another race, sort of mall race that is. Never been dampened by two failed attempts to be included in the AXN Mall race, I began to think of joining the race again. This time the group is composed of 3 players, unlike that of the previous one which only have 2 players each team. So I forwarded the email subscription ad from AXN to my two fellow consultants at AIU -- Chummy and Adah. Having the same adventure spirit as mine, I knew they will be as excited as me. Then came the registration online. Adah took charge of the essay part and chose the recent picture we've had together. There must have been some magical elements on the picture. Taken from our Mt. Maculot dayhike last year, it exudes spontaneity and naivety only seen on candid shots. With the actual race (February 7) fast approaching, we began to be anxious on the results of the registration as there was no indication of how the selection would go about. And then last Sunday evening as I was about to go home from SM Fairview where I met my cousin and her children, I received a call (mobile number) from an unfamiliar voice with that slight American accent (he is a Filipino, by the way). After confirming my identity, he then asked me if I joined any AXN contest with my friends. Notwithstanding the noise at the mall and my hearing problem, the question was as loud as a resounding gong. As I moved to the "less-noise" area, it all became clear that we we're one of the 24 teams selected to race on the AXN Big Challenge. All I could mutter was "Okay", "Yes Sir" and "Thank you Sir". After the call, I could not believe what I just heard. It was the most thrilling news I had for years. Excitedly, I tried to call my teammates. Though I can't contact Adah at that time, I was able to talk to Chummy and gave her the good news. We we're both at a different level of excitement and joy. Then came Monday. I told the good news to Adah. We can't help but share it with our friends in the office and convinced them to cheer us up on the date of the race. We began discussing our strategies and plans for the race. Came Tuesday. After our work, we went to Mall of Asia to scout for the place and familiarize with the nooks and stalls around the place. Came Wednesday. As instructed, I called Mr. Kerry of AXN for the details of the orientation. Telling Adah and Chummy of the details, we resumed planning of additional activities that would be included in the race. Came Thursday (today). Two days before the actual race, we engaged in a wall climbing activity at Sandugo (Market Market) indoor climb facility. And now as I am writing this blog, I still can't believe that we really made it to the competition. Win or lose, I knew this would be one experience that would spell change and distinct fulfillment to three women who dared to be different. To Chummy and Adah, I hope that we can make it through the end of the race. Go go go girls!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

pigs, mauuhon mo ang tsalends....
indi mo pagpanumdumon ang iban na grupo...bsta fokus ka lg sa inu na grupo...gud lak...

pila ang premyo sang 2nd place?

Tina Galido said...

ok pigs ah... thanks...

nonnon said...

hi hi
i been selected. wondering if u too been selected.

wanna find some alliance in da race ^_^

Tina Galido said...

@nonnon: yes I was selected.. Although we did not win, it was worth an experience...